Views
Helpful
Replies

Router Sizing

sharma.pulkit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

One of our Customer is looking to replace the existing 2821 router as they are upgrading 2 of the Internet links. 

1st Link is 140 Mbps and 2nd 40 Mbps. They have 10-15 remote sites that would be connecting to the Central site through Site to Site IPSec VPN.

I have gone through the Miercom report and other Cisco Router recommended design guide. I have suggested Cisco3945E-SEC/k9 router bundle with DATA PAk.

Can you please let me know if this would work and also where do we suggest the 4451-X router, I didnt find the DATA License for this router.

Also what are your recommendations for Flash and memory upgrade.

Is there any document that can give an idea to size the Flash and DRAM for different scenarios.

Thanks for the help.

Pulkit

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Are the VPN's terminating on the routers? A 3945E is a pretty big router and sounds like it could be overkill, but it depends what exactly these routers will be doing. What features are looking at in the DATA license? Chances are pretty good that the 4451 will come in cheaper or around the same price. Again it all depends on what the routers will be doing. Why do you think you need a flash and DRAM upgrade? Is there something specifically you're doing that warrants it?

sharma.pulkit
Level 1
Level 1

yes. the VPNs would be terminating on the router. I am looking at MPLS capabilities through DATA Pak.

Ihe whole idea is to support 180Mbps link and 15 sites have T1 links for site-site VPN.