Views
Helpful
Replies

secondary default route

Dale_Bosley
Level 1
Level 1

I can't get a secondary route to work

If you look at the attachment TowerConfigs, open with notepad and uncheck the word wrap option you can see my network layout and the problem is described in more detail.

I have also attached the 3 routers involved configs

Any Help is greatly appreciated!

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Can you ping 192.168.1.4 (Downtown Router Fa0) from the Tower router ?

If so, would you be able to post the config of the Downtown Router ?

Paresh.

Yes I can ping. Here are the configs, I also ran a traceroute with the tower internet interface shut down and attached the results,

HI Dale,

The problem I see that you have is that the JCWA router has a default route pointing to 192.168.4.1. Therefore, when the Fa0 link on the Tower router goes down, the JCWA router continues to send traffic out to the Tower router. The JCWA router has absolutely no way of knowing that the Fa0 link on the Tower router has gone down. That is a problem inherent with using static routes.

A solution I would propose is:

- on the Tower router:

** remove the second default route (the one to 10.6.18.4)

** configure 'default-information originate' under 'router rip' so that info on the default route is propagated via RIP

- on JCWA:

** remove both the default routes

- on the Downtown router:

** configure 'default-information originate' under 'router rip' so that info on the default route is propagated via RIP

With the above setup, JCWA will select the default route via the TOwer router while it's link is up, since this default will have a better metric. If that link goes down, it should switch to the default learned via the Downtown router.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Thanks Paresh, I will try the configs mentioned above, but before I do I would like to explain that my main connection to the internet is through the 10.6.18.8 router that points to the tower over a T1, the tower router then directs the traffic to the internet. That has to be the main route. The 10.6.18.4 router is an alternate router connecting the downtown site to mine over another T1, the downtown site has another internet connection, so I was hoping to use that as a backup only should the tower internet go down.So is there a way to tell the 10.6.18.8 router that when traffic is kicked back from the tower because of a downed internet to redirect that traffic to 10.6.18.4?

Thanks and yes I'll rate the post highly if I can get this to work right.

Hi Dale,

You can apply an offset to the RIP metric for the default generated for the backup link so that the primary link is always preferred. It might be better to get the routing working first before you do that, though.

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card