Views
Helpful
Replies

Selecting the source interface.

suresharja
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

When I ping ip address , the router takes source IP address as out going interface address. Can I change that ?? I want the source IP address is always to be ip address of the fastethernet interface . how can I do that??

Regards...

suresh arja

2 Replies 2

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

You cannot change that behaviour by default, but you can change it for an individual ping. Instead of ping address, just do a plain ping. It will then prompt you for the parameters of the ping, amongst which will be the source IP address or interface.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

To expand a bit - Kevin is talking about capabilities in extended ping. To do extended ping you must be in enable mode - in user mode you can do only standard ping.

In extended ping, if you want to specify the source address that capability is in the extended commands. so as Kevin says do ping and press enter and follow the prompts. When you get to the prompt asking if you want to do extended commands respond yes and it will prompt you for the source address to use (among other things it will prompt for).

The IOS permits you to specify source address for an increasing number of functions such as source for logging to syslog, source for tacacs, source for telnet but at this point as Kevin says there is no command to systematically change the source for ping, you must do that every time you ping.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card