cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sharing Appletalk Resources on a separate vlan

russell.turner
Level 1
Level 1

Need some help with appletalk. The situation I have and I know nothing about Mac-os and apple talk. I have a printer on the first floor which is running mac-os. I would like other users to have the capbility of sharing that printer which they are on separate vlans. Is this possible ?

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure it can be done but you need a router running I think enterprise software that supports appletalk routing . Take a look at the layer 3 device which does your current routing between vlans and see if it supports appletalk routing . then you need to setup appletalk on all your layer 3 definitions which involves assigning a cable range and zone name for each subnet (vlan). Of course your clients have to be running appletalk (ethertalk) , can't be windows pc's though I'm not sure if there are any appletalk emulators out there for windows. Not many people use it anymore.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If your routers / L3 switches don't support appletalk routing, you can set up the interfaces to bridge appletalk while routing IP (on a router, I'm not sure if L3 switches _running in L3 mode_ support bridging).

Good Luck

Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card