cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Should I use Shaping or rely on 802.3x flow control?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

My company is upgrading our T1 wan to a Metro Optical Ethernet (MOE)from our service provider. At our main site we will be connecting to the MOE via a 7206-VXR NP-G1 at gig speeds. Other remote sites will be connecting to the MOE using one of two methods:

1. 7206-VXR NP-G1 Gig-ethernet - but the provider is provisioning that link down to 100MB.

2. 28xx router FastEthernet, and the provider is provisioning those links to 100BM also.

So the main site is connected to the MOE at gig speed and remote sites at 100MB speeds with either gig or FE physical connections.

Since these are mis-matched speeds and there is a potential for data from the main site (gig) overwhelming remote sites (100MB), and some remote sites will be trying to push speeds at gig rate even though the provider has provisioned for only 100MB, should I rely on the 802.3x flow contraol (pause frame) technology, or should I implement shaping/policing to insure that I hit the MOE with the correct speeds?

I will implementing QOS for voice/video etc, over these links also.

Thanks.

1 Reply 1

fmeetz
Level 4
Level 4

The GEPA is available on all Cisco 7200 VXR series routers ,

The Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter (GEPA) is a single-port fixed port adapter that, when combined with the appropriate optical fiber cable, provides one 1000-Mbps Gigabit Ethernet interface that complies with IEEE 802.3z specifications. The Gigabit Ethernet interface operates in full-duplex mode at 1000 Mbps for transmit (TX) and receive (RX) directions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1833/products_feature_guide09186a008008118a.html

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card