cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Silly question, BUT, need it answered SOONEST!!!

alcontrol
Level 1
Level 1

My boss walks in (he's the MD of our networking company), and asks me whether I know the codes for STP. I said of course I do! To my surprise, the wires were different colors. How now???? Please help me out here guys. the colors that is present in the cable are: RED, GREEN, YELLOW, BLACK, ORANGE, BLUE, BROWN, & GREY. What are the pairs and how are they connected???

Thank You

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Since you don't have standard wire to wire to 568A or B I think you'll need to develop your own standard and use the pin-outs that Steve mentioned for either cross or straight through cables. Cat5e cabling is OW,O,GW,Bl,BlW,G, BrW,Br which is nothing close to what you've got. As long as you document what you do, coming along after for work on the cables should be no big deal.

Hope this helps,

Don

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

See: http://www.johnscloset.net/wiring/#568

For crossover: pins 1,2,3,6 are used. 1 connects to 3, and 2 connects to 6. Pins 4,5,7,8 are not used but are still connected.

Hope it helps.

Steve

thanx man....but we need THE standard for following the color codes, if you kno wot i mean. you see, it will be easy for me to do that, but if sum 1 else comes along and wanna do changes, they will first have to troubleshoot the wiring layout. that would not be practical on our part as network equipment resellers.

Thanx anywayz Steve

Hope you can help further

Since you don't have standard wire to wire to 568A or B I think you'll need to develop your own standard and use the pin-outs that Steve mentioned for either cross or straight through cables. Cat5e cabling is OW,O,GW,Bl,BlW,G, BrW,Br which is nothing close to what you've got. As long as you document what you do, coming along after for work on the cables should be no big deal.

Hope this helps,

Don