Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SmartNet Contract Understanding

Looking for a little light on Cisco SmartNet Contracts.

In the past, if we had just 1 valid SmartNet contract for say, an ASA 5510, I could download IOS updates for my Cisco 1811 that does not hold a contract. That appears to have changed.

What I'm seeing now is you MUST hold a valid SmartNet contract for EVERY device in which you wish to be able to download. Is this truley the case?

We have devices that we are ok with not having support on. I don't want to pay for 24/7 support or TAC access. All I want is software updates. Hell most the time brand new units come from the vendor with old software. So are SmartNet contracts now basically mandatory if you want a device that isn't buggy right from day one?

I hope I'm misunderstand and in fact mistaken.If someone could shed some light that would be great.

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the past, if we had just 1 valid SmartNet contract for say, an ASA 5510, I could download IOS updates for my Cisco 1811 that does not hold a contract. That appears to have changed.

Once upon a time, in not too distant a past, there was a so-called "Gentleman's agreement" between Cisco and users.  This agreement means that as a user, you will be honest enough to download only what you have.  Meaning if you only buy Cisco switches, you won't try to download the IOS of the firewall.   Or you purchased an IP Base license and you won't download the IP Services software without paying for it.

So now, Cisco is enforcing this.  No more "gentleman's agreement".  No service contract, no download.  Period.

eric.reichel
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that customers are entitled to software updates within their license feature set, as long as they are the original license holder of the product or have purchased an upgraded software license without SMARTnet.   Access to upgrades or higher levels of software (e.g. Advanced Security) are not available without purchasing a valid license upgrade.

Cisco provides free publicly available software updates for many fixed configuration switches:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps6568/ps9637/qa_c67-424369.html

Cisco offers ongoing Cisco IOS Software updates for the following fixed-configuration and stackable Cisco Catalyst switches at no additional cost. For the life of the switch, updates within the Cisco IOS package purchased will be made available to customers.

• Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2900 XL Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2940 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2955 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2960 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches

• Cisco ME 2400 Series Ethernet Access Switches

• Cisco ME 3400 Series Ethernet Access Switches

• Cisco ME 3400E Series Ethernet Access Switches

In addition, Cisco also offers no-SMARTnet-needed access to IPBASE software for these switch lines:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_bulletin_c25-534149.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/product_bulletin_c25-607001_ps10745_Products_Bulletin.html

• Cisco Catalyst 2975 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 2970 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3560E Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3560X Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3560X Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 3750E Series Switches

Cisco Catalyst 3750X Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series Switches

• Cisco Catalyst 4500-E Series Switches

Hope that helps.

Cisco offers free software updates for certain switch models probably because the strong competitions does the same.

For others markets where they are more dominant, they charge and enforce access to updates.

However, if you have a new product (I think within three months of purchase) that requires a software update, the TAC will provide access to the required files. They also do that in other exceptional cases.