Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP and NAT/Cisco

Mark3000
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am planning to run NNM6.41 (Version 7 is only scheduled by mid 2005 !!) on Sun Solaris machine. My NNM (subnet 20.1.1.x) server is connected to the managed network (subnet 30.1.1.x) via two routers A and B running static NAT since the interconnection is handled by another company.

The HP NNM server is located on a private subnet A : 20.1.1.x

The managed objects are located on a second private subnet B: 30.1.1.x

Both subnets are private and under our organisation.

But the subnets are interconnected via two routers A and B that nat addresses to "routed" addresse since the interconnetion is handled by another organisation.

So ip packets will be natted on one side and de-natted on the other side.

I have few questions regarding Openview NNM and static NAT:

- What are the restrictions on snmp traps (I am talking about traps (not icmp ou snmp) on NNM using static NAT ? Will I receive my traps correctly ? if not Why ?

- Does NNM 6.4 support NAT when enabling ICMP polling ? What is exactly the problem / restriction ? Will I send/receive my echo/echo reply correctly ? if not Why ?

- Does NNM 6.4 support NAT when enabling SNMP polling ? What is exactly the problem / restriction ? Will I send/receive my snmp-get/snmp reply correctly ? if not Why ?

Please any answer, clarification or link to usefull documents is welcome. Only reply if you have already faced the problem and have the right solution.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

vkapoor5
Level 5
Level 5

With static NAT, I strongly believe that there are no restrictions on SNMP traps. You can successfully receive them.

bcbvale
Level 1
Level 1

You may want to try the HP NNM forums at http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=162.

You're likely to get a better reply as to how NNM handles NAT.

bcbv