cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP OIDs???

taborious
Level 1
Level 1

I am using MRTG to monitor bandwidth and that is working great, I am also using SNMP to invoice the routers on my network. I am having a little trouble finding the aAppropriate OIDs for the information that I want. I am looking for the OID for the following:

-System Memory Installed, no flash, I have that one

-Percent overall memory used

I have been looking with the cisco mib browser but I can't find these OID's. I also know that there are additional MIBs that I could load but I'm hoping that these are basic information and that there is a MIB that is running by default that will give me this info, thanks in advance...

9 Replies 9

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

For Memory related stuff, you can look at CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB. CCO MIB Locator Tool comes in handy as well www.cisco.com/go/mibs

I am aware of the memory-pool-mib but that mib is not loaded by default. I was hoping to find a more generic OID for returning the amount of installed memory. I have been on the cisco mib browser page I don't know how many times. It seems like this would be a common request but the more I look the less I am to believe that.

What device type and IOS/CatIOS version are you attempting to get MIB information from?

Please, check following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a95.shtml

That document shows a correspondance between the 'sh memory' command output and OIDs.

HTH

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate the help. But, I guess I'm not relaying very well what I'm looking for.

I will be querying cisco 3700 & 3640 routers, with varying IOS version but all 12.2.X and above.

There are a certain set of MIBs loaded by default by the IOS I have been able to get CPU usage, Interface Usage but I'm looking for memory infomation now. I have been able to get:

flash, PCMCIA and Compact Flash memory size from:

enterprises.9.9.10.1.1.2.1.2

This is info from the default MIB loaded by the router. However, I have been unable ti find ANYTHING for just how much ram is installed on the system. If the answer is "You can only get memory stats by loading CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB (not loaded by default) not good, but at least then I know it can't be done. I would just think for such a simple; and I would think popular request, there would be a more generic OID besides the memory-pool-mib. This is what I am looking for if it exists. I'm hoping a cisco export can help me out here. Again, not complaining because I really do appreciate the suggestions...

taborious--please look at the previous link--it shows with an example, the correct OID to get the amount of memory available to a processor.

Something that probably needs explaining, when you state "There are a certain set of MIBs loaded by default", this statement is true, however you can not come back later and load additional MIBs in the device. If you want additional Mibs or OIDs, you will need to upgrade IOS to support the additional MIBs you're looking for.

Having said that (and probably not very clearly), have you performed an "snmpwalk" on the devices? Doing so may give you the information you need.

There's probably a way to do this in windows, but for *nix boxes, try this:

"snmpwalk -c snmp-ro -v 1 device-ip > somefile"

Scroll through the "somefile" and look for the OID(s) you want to graph. You can also add other switches such as "enterprises" or "ISO" after the device-ip to get specific parts of the OID tree.

Keep in mind, some things simply don't have a MIB or OID associated with them, you will have collect the appropriate MIBs and do some type of math or manipulation to get what your looking for. For instance, if there is no "Total DRAM" mib, but there are "DRAM used" and "DRAM Free" MIBs available, simply adding these two values together would give you the total amount of DRAM available.

hth

I did think you could load additional MIBs I did not know it was stickly an IOS thing, so good info.

Well from my research and answers from here there does not seem to be a single OID to return total DRAM. I took another look at your link and I saw what you were refering to. The closest I was able to get to the total installed DRAM was to add the 3 following OIDs together. Even though I walked the tree, they still poll at different times so the calculation is not perfect but its close.

enterprises.9.9.48.1.1.1.5

enterprises.9.9.48.1.1.1.6

enterprises.9.9.48.1.1.1.7

Thanks for the help....

I have a question. What if the OID's are missing? How would someone go about requesting to add an OID? I"m looking for optical TX and RX light levels for the ASR 9K and they're not there, but they do have them for the ASR 900. 

I have a question. What if the OID's are missing? How would someone go about requesting to add an OID? I"m looking for optical TX and RX light levels for the ASR 9K and they're not there, but they do have them for the ASR 900.