cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning tree

rickyt00
Level 1
Level 1

I just got done creating about about 40 different vlans. It used to be two different subnets, but I now want to connect the two old subnets with all the new vlans together. I want to make sure I have spanning tree working correctly though. There will be two different paths once I connect the two switches together a gig link and 100 meg. Shouldn't spanning tree take care of this without any input from me since the portcost would be 4 for the gig and 19 for the 100? Also since I have 40 or so vlans should I use pre-vlan spanning tree instead. Thanks for the help

1 Reply 1

switchit
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ricky,

in this scenario, i beilive u want to have 2 diffrent physical connections for redundancy and load sharing. in this case, on gig link you can increase the port cost >19 of 1st vlan so that it goes from Fastethernet port and on Fastethernet link, you lower down the port cost <19 of same vlan so that this will go from Fa link.

By default cisco switches run PVST (per vlan STP). this is fine for your network. kindly update me if you need any further asisstsnace here.