Views
Helpful
Replies

stacking 6 2960x question

rbrannon_eci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have stacked 6, 2960x switches with the supplied 0.5m FlexStack cables, however my "sh switch detail" doesn't match up to how it's cabled. I found documentation on how to cable 4 of them with 0.5m cables, but not 6. 

Could anyone explain or post a diagram of how to achieve this with 0.5m cables? If it's not possible with 0.5m, I can do without the redundancy for a while until I can order a 1.0m cable, I just need to get them in the correct order.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Ahmad Mohaidat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

please check the attached picture that i've just created.

HTH

Ahmad.

Hi , 

Maximum limit for flex stack is only 4 units

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-series-switches/white_paper_c11-578928.html

Table 2 shows the differences and the similarities for FlexStack and StackWise Plus.

Table 2. Comparing FlexStack and StackWise Plus

Cisco Catalyst 2960-S Stacking Ease of Use

Cisco Catalyst 3750-X StackWise Plus 
Ease of Use and High Availability

Device limit

4 units

9 units

Stack bandwidth

10G/20G

32G/64G

Architecture

Hardware drop table

Ring (destination stripping)

Dynamic ring load balancing

No

Yes

Stack convergence

1-2 seconds

Few milliseconds

Stack quality of service (QoS)

Applied hop by hop

Applied on ingress

Management

Single IP address, SNMP, syslog

Single IP address, SNMP, syslog

Configuration

Single config and CLI, auto image and config update

Single config and CLI, auto image and config update

Show and debug commands

Unified

Unified

Single forwarding and control plane

Synchronize Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), MAC address, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), VLAN tables

Synchronize Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), MAC address, Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP), VLAN tables, routing tables

Cross-stack features

Yes

Yes

Single bridge-ID

Yes

Yes

Redundancy

Stack master 1:N redundancy

Stack master 1:N redundancy

Restrictions for Switch Stacks
The following are restrictions for your switch stack configuration:
• Stacking is not supported on switches running the LAN Lite image. All switches in the stack must be
running the LAN Base image.
• In a mixed stack of Catalyst 2960-X and Catalyst 2960-S switches, the number of supported stack
members is reduced from eight to four.
• In a mixed stack of Catalyst 2960-X and Catalyst 2960-Sswitches, full stack bandwidth is reduced from
80 Gbps to 40 Gbps.
• In a mixed stack of Catalyst 2960-X and Catalyst 2960-S switches, stack convergence time is increased
from milliseconds to 1 to 2 seconds.

HTH

Sandy

nspasov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The length of the stacking cables should not matter as long as you can connect the top switch with the bottom one. This can of course be hard if you have any rack unit spaces between each switch in a 6 switch stack. For proper connectivity please take a look at the hardware installation guide for the 2960x switches:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960xr/hardware/installation/guide/b_c2960xr_hig/b_c2960xr_hig_chapter_010.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you for rating helpful posts!