cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor 720 and IP routing

c-wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

We currently do not run any routing protocols on our network. We have very few routes and to this point have only used static routes. For inter-VLAN routing we have a 6509 with Sup 1A running in Hybrid mode. To turn routing on, we entered "ip routing" and then "router static". However, we just recieved a new 6513 with Sup 720's installed. When we went int to turn routing on, we did "ip routing" but there is no "static" option under the "router" command. How do we enable static IP routing on the 720's? Thanks for any help.

5 Replies 5

a.awan
Level 4
Level 4

You do not need any router static command to enable static routing. All you need to do is to define the respective static routes using the 'ip route' command and you should be all set provided you have ip routing enabled (like you mentioned).

That is what I thought as well. However, when you enter "ip routing" to turn ip routing on the "ip routing" does not show up in the config. This applies to both the 6509 and 6513. When I entered "ip routing" and then "router static" on the 6509 the "ip routing" command showed up in the config. I understand that the routers will route using static routes the way they are, but the problem we are faced is with HSRP. If we do not explicitely turn on "ip routing" then the fail-over router does not take over the routing duties. The HSRP will change to Active but it will not actually route the traffic. We tested this in our lab using 3750's and had the same issue but with those switches we could enter the "ip routing" and "router static" and everything worked fine with HSRP.

The command does not show up when you do a show run because it is the default. You should have no problems running HSRP or for that matter any of the routing protocols. I have personally never used the 'router static' command. Maybe someone who has can shed more light on this particular command.

I recommend that you go ahead and try HSRP or static routes and if it does not work then post your configs here but i am quite positive that you will not have any issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the response. However according to Cisco's documentation: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_5_4/msfc/routing.htm#xtocid1168415

It says that to configure HSRP you must enter the ip routing command and the router command if you have multiple routers on the network. With HSRP configured without these commands, the standby router will go active like it is suppose to if the active router fails, but it does not actually route the packets. As I stated before, I was able to duplicate this with 3750's in our lab. Without the commands, the packets did not route when the standby router took over, but if the commands were entered on both routers, the standby router would route traffic as soon as we killed the active router. Thanks again for your help.

I am not saying that you do not have to enable ip routing. All i was trying to explain to you was in the IOS running on your Sup720 ip routing is enbled by default and that is why you do not see it when you do a show run.

As far as using the router command is concerned, you only do that when you require enabling a dynamic routing protocol like RIP, OSPF, EIGRP, etc. For static routes after enabling ip routing you should be fine just putting in the 'ip route' commands.