cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP to Com1

dpropson
Level 1
Level 1

I want to TFTP the run config. to my laptop. The switch is not yet on the network. How do I copy the run to my laptop through COM1? Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switch is not yet on the network, then I can think of at least two alternatives you can use.

Probably the more simple alternative is to use your laptop com port with a console cable and terminal emulator software. Connect the console cable to the com port and to the switch console. Start the terminal emulator software (configure it for 9600 and 8, 1, and none) and log in to the switch. Get into privilege mode and show the configuration. Then cut and paste from the terminal window to a file (or some terminal emulator programs have a logging or session capture function which would allow you to capture it directly).

The second alternative is to use TFTP. This assumes that you have a working Ethernet port on your laptop and TFTP server software on your laptop. Assuming that the switch is configured with an IP address for its management interface, configure your PC with an IP address on its Ethernet in the same subnet as the subnet of the management interface on the switch. Connect your PC to a port on the switch which is in the vlan with the management interface. Then do a TFTP copy from the switch to your PC.

The alternative with com port and terminal emulator is what most people use.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

About your first alternative, I use HyperTerm so I just capture text to a file. That save on the cutting and pasting.

I like using TFTP because it's fast and easy. I do the following command....

#copy run ? Gets the following...any command below that can actually use the com1 to get to the TFTP server?

flash: Copy to flash: file system

ftp: Copy to ftp: file system

null: Copy to null: file system

nvram: Copy to nvram: file system

rcp: Copy to rcp: file system

running-config Update (merge with) current system configuration

startup-config Copy to startup configuration

system: Copy to system: file system

tftp: Copy to tftp: file system

vb: Copy to vb: file system

Try doing this...

#copy run filename

Destination filename [filename]?

What would this do?

About you second suggestion. I have done all of that; they are on same subnet...

What is the command: #copy run tftp? Is that it?

Thanks

Let me try to briefly answer several parts of your question. No you can not TFTP to the com1 port. TFTP is an IP protocol and requires IP connectivity. The com port is an async port and does not run IP. If you want to capture (or backup) the config there are alternatives that use TFTP and IP and there are alternatives that use the com port. These alternatives are mutually exclusive.

If you copy run filename it will copy the running config to a file in one of the file systems on the router - the best one for this is flash.

In your situation I think you want a simple solution not a complex one. The most simple solution is the hyperterm solution which you have already been able to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I'm affraid to test my switch on the network, we are having a VTP issue that is taking down nodes. That is why I'm working on it out-of-band.

When I do a: #copy run tftp it asks me for an ip and then I get a sockets error. Any way to get around this? No big thing, just interested.

It IS possible, using SLIP or PPP to configure the con or aux port for access using IP .... but it'd be a major pain in the butt.

As mentioned above, you can set most, if not all, terminal emulators to capture ASCII text to a file, then cut & paste or transmit it back in to restore the config.

For example, with HyperTerm: TRANSFER | CAPTURE TEXT , then give it a file name. do your sh run (or whatever), when the text has stopped scrolling, go back to the same tab and close the capture session.

When you want to put the config back in, select TRANSFER | Send ASCII Test, select the filename, and send the file. It will be accepted as if you were typing it in.

Other terminal emulators have similar functions.

It's probably a good thing to practice anyway ... to edit an access-list, you'll need to do some cut & paste (or re-type the whole list).

Good Luck

Scott