Views
Helpful
Replies

The Gi interfaces on Cisco 891f won t go On

Hakim RS
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I m just a beginner in the world of R&S, and i m facing troubles configuring the C891f router.

Actually when i tried to assign ip addresses to the interfaces i had an error message saying: IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

On the forums, they said that i should configure the VLANs first and then assign the interfaces to the right VLAN. So I did that.

The problem is that i can t get the interfaces UP. The no shutdown command doesn t cchange anything at all.

Can anybody help ? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Have you tired changing cables and possible connecting a different device to the router?

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You may need to have one of the switchport interfaces up and active before the VLAN interface actually comes up.

Thanks for responding, I actually did that in the first place and got the same trouble. :/

I tried even to modify the duplex and speed parameters and didn t put them on automatic  

Could you post a config?

I tried even to modify the duplex and speed parameters and didn t put them on automatic  

Can you try the following: 

config t
interface <BLAH>
speed auto 100
end

See if the interface goes up and negotiates to 100 Mbps.  

It does show the interfaces are negotiating the 100Mbps, but still down

So the physical interfaces don't come up at all correct? I thought just the logical VLAN interfaces weren't coming up.

How is the connection to the 891 being made? A direct patch cable from the device or via a patch panel?

Have you tried swapping cables, connecting a laptop directly to the router or different device? Tried a different port on the router?

no connection is made, i try to configure the router so it can be easly integreate it on the client network.

I m just using a console cable so i can configure it

Ahh. So to my original post, unless there is a physical interface up the VLAN interface will not come up. Test it out quickly by plugging a device into the router.

i did that ! and the interface chaged it staut for just 3seconds

*Apr 28 11:44:03.327: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet2, changed state to up
*Apr 28 11:44:06.303: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet2, changed state to down

and the went down 

Have you tired changing cables and possible connecting a different device to the router?

Yes i did ! 

here s what #sh ip int brief   shows: 

C891F#sh ip int brief
Interface              IP-Address          OK?       Method          Status              Protocol
Async3                 unassigned    YES            unset             down               down
BRI0                     unassigned    YES            NVRAM  administratively down down
BRI0:1                  unassigned    YES            unset administratively down down
BRI0:2                  unassigned    YES            unset administratively down down
FastEthernet0       unassigned    YES           NVRAM administratively down down
GigabitEthernet0   unassigned   YES            unset         down                down
GigabitEthernet1   unassigned   YES                  unset down down
GigabitEthernet2   unassigned   YES                  unset down down
GigabitEthernet3   unassigned   YES                   unset down down
GigabitEthernet4   unassigned   YES               unset administratively down down
GigabitEthernet5   unassigned   YES               unset administratively down down
GigabitEthernet6   unassigned   YES               unset administratively down down
GigabitEthernet7   unassigned   YES                      unset down down
GigabitEthernet8   unassigned   YES             NVRAM administratively down down
Vlan1                     unassigned   YES              unset administratively down down
Vlan 100                192.168.8.1   YES                    NVRAM down down
Vlan200                 192.168.20.1 YES                    NVRAM down down
Vlan300                 192.168.1.1   YES                   NVRAM down down
Vlan400                 192.168.100.1  YES                 manual down down
Vlan2000              192.168.100.1   YES                 manual down down

I don't see any configuration issues, and if you have tried multiple known good devices with known good cables then one cannot rule the possibility of a hardware issue with the router.

Thank you,

It was some Hardware problem, and everything is on now. 

It does show the interfaces are negotiating the 100Mbps

Can you post the complete output to the command "sh interface <BLAH>"?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card