cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Too much Delay

holiveros
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have a 4503 and some 4006s with WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 modules. I these switches I have servers connected via 1000BaseTX to the modules. The problem is that when I make backups (Gigas of info), the delay it takes is worrying and frustrating (it takes more than 10 hours to back up 30 Gigas of info)...and in theory it should not happen since they are connected at 1000Mbps....question ...should I configure something additional on every involved interface..??...I mean, queueing for example..??...Is the gigabit port underutilized..??

3 Replies 3

dfelter
Level 1
Level 1

With the WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 module there are 6 1 Gbps interfaces to the backplane. As a result, ports 1-8, 9-16, 17-24, 25-32, 33-42, and 43-48 each share a 1 Gbs connection to the backplane. As a best practice, it is advised to connect the servers across the 6 groups of 8 ports.

Right, I understand the 6:1 or 8:1 relationship in my case. But, can I change the defaults of flowcontrol..?...I mean, Is it possible to change flowcontrol send on and flowcontrol receive desired (default for blocking ports) and convert in a 1:1 mapping, ie to flowcontrol send off and flowcontrol received desired, and it works..?...through this way could I obtain a 1 Gb connection to the backplane..?

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Few questions....What backup software are you using? What type of backup device are you using? What OS are you running? I really don't think it is a problem with the switches unless you have some speed and duplex mismatches....if you did not check the speed and duplex on the servers and the switch port...make sure they are set the same...I personally hard code the servers and switch ports.