Helpful
Replies

Triggering SYSLOG when interface snmp oid detects traffic usage >60%

bankbtn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys ..

I'm a newcomer ..

Could you guys help me ? In my case, I need to create a triggered syslog from a router itself, when an interface detects its traffic usage based on the SNMP OID Interface >60% .. Someone told me to make an EEM Script, but I don't know how the thing is, and still probing for any solutions by exploring by myself also in this forum ..

Do you have any experience or any idea to make that thing ?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the below should work. Replace the OID with the one you want to monitor. The syslog message created under '2.0' is customable, make it whatever you want.

event manager applet SNMP_OID_IF_TRAFFIC
event snmp oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.109.1.1.1.1.6.1 get-type exact entry-op gt entry-val 60 exit-op lt exit-val 70 poll-interval 5 maxrun 20
action 1.0 cli command "enable"
action 2.0 syslog msg "Creating log entry for >60% interface traffic"

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding what  @Georg Pauwen  suggested script.

If you generating SYSLOG message on the device, Do you have syslog configured to external syslog to ship the logs to make alerts ?

You can add email notification so you do not need to login to router and check the logs using same EEM Script adding more lines.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-16/216091-best-practices-and-useful-scripts-for-ee.html#toc-hId--581882043

How does you take  any action if the Interface Utilize High, Best to use NMS so you can track your Usage bandwidth Peak or non-peak hours, This  will help you for your Performance indicators. 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

>60% this percentage of what ? depend on what ?
MHM