cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unix server 10/100 NIC, 3750G 48 port switch, cant connect

jamesbruce
Level 1
Level 1

set up a 3750G switch, vlan1, encap dot1q, vlan 1 allowed trunk access...unix server has ethernet 10/100 NIC and cant communicate, cant ping the server but can ping all other servers/routers, switches, have internet access to all, this switch connects to another via fiber sfp to GBIC on the other......do I have to set a link speed on a specific port for this server to match the NIC's speed, or is that even possible? newbie here

5 Replies 5

arvenugopal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

First of all what is the Vlan the Unix server recided, will you show the interfCE config of the switch which is connected to the server.

My Suggestion is have 100Mbps hard corded in both the end.

Hi,

besides the speed I would also recommend to set the duplex mode to full on both sides.

Make sure the cabling is correct (do you see the interface to the server being up/up?).

In case the interface is up, check whether the servers IP address, default gateway etc. are set correctly.

Hope this helps

Martin

Thanks Martin..after doing some troubleshooting it turned out to be a loose cat5 connection on the back of the server..lol...sometimes we overlook the obvious I guess! lol At least I did in this case!

Thanks for the reply...it turned out to be a loose network connection on the server...I guess I overlooked the obvious there! lol...Thanks again.

m.mcconnell
Level 1
Level 1

Set the speed and duplex on the UNIX host and then on the switch set the speed and duplex and disable automdix.

config t

interface g1/0/1 (or whatever interface it is)

speed 100

duplex full

no mdix auto

switchport host

exit

exit

write mem

Make sure the cable is a good straight through Cat5.

-Mark

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card