cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade license from Eval to Permanent

suenalltheSIorg
Level 1
Level 1

We had 2 3945e routers as hubs for DMVPN which ordered with the appropriate hseck9 license but inadvertantely placed on the network without the hseck9 license being installed.  2 weeks ago, after adding several DMVPN tunnels we noticed the performance hit and got eval licenses in place on the 2 offending routers.  I now have PAKs for permanent hseck9 licenses and am wondering if I need to clear the active hseck9 eval license before installing the permanent license, or if I can just tftp over the new file, issue the command license install flash0:........lic and be in business.  This link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/sw_activation/SA_on_ISR.html#wp1097551

seems to indicate the latter and no reload should be necessary.  Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Sue

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have already activated the evaluation license (which did require a reload), installaing the permanent license does not require an additional reload.

Thanks Marvin.  The eval license for the HSECK9 did NOT however require a reload (per the Cisco TAC engineer who assisted us in installing it).  So I just want to make sure that the upgrade won't either.