cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using configmaker

stevekohr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I am a student in Cisco Networking Academy. I am trying to use configmaker to design a network. I am new to using configmaker. Is there anyway to subnet a subnet without using a router? I have been trying to subnetting a subnet betwween switches but configmaker won't let me. Is this a limitation of configmaker? Thank you and happy holidays!!!

Steve

4 Replies 4

Hello Steve,

I am not 100% sure if I understand your question. A switch in general (unless it is a layer 3 switch) does not care about subnets, so if you are trying to attach hosts from two different IP ranges, this does not matter to the switch. The hosts from the different subnets will not be able to talk to each other, unless their traffic is forwarded to a Layer 3 device that allows the subnets to communicate.

Is this an anwer to your question ? Are you trying to use ConfigMaker to assign management IP addresses from different subnets to the switches ?

Regards,

Georg

Thanks for your reply. I'm working on a case study where there are 3 switches running off of one router and a different number of hosts running off of each switch, I am supposed to apply vlsm to my design to save ip addresses. The case study does not specify what type of switches I am to use but I do have to be able to configure vlans between the switches. I was just trying to use configmaker to verify my design but I don't think it is advanced enough to support a design such as this. Thanks for your help.

Steve

Hello,

I can imagine that what they are asking for is to add VLSM in the IOS Configuration tab of the router you are trying to configure in ConfigMaker: if you have a 2600 with a 4-Ethernet Network Module, you will see those 4 Ethernet interfaces in the IOS Configuration tab. In order to apply VLSM, and to save address space, you could subnet a class C address range into 4 smaller subnets and assign these to the Ethernet interfaces. The switches would be connected to those Ethernet interfaces, and the hosts attached to the switches would get an IP address from the subnetted spaces. So e.g. 192.168.1.0/24 would be subnetted into:

192.168.1.0/26

192.168.1.64/26

192.168.1.128/26

192.168.1.192/26

And these addresses could be applied to the Ethernet interfaces.

Regards,

Georg

Thanks Georg that should help alot. I appreciate your input!!!