cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

using Global Spanning-tree parameters

lstraney
Level 1
Level 1

I'm in the process of simplifying the configurations in our 3560s, I came accross a situation that requires a better understanding of how default parameters are used. Originally we had "spanning-tree portfast" and "spanning-tree bpduguard enable" coded on most of the access mode interfaces. I wanted to use the following Global parameters:

"Spanning-tree portfast default"

"Spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default"

"Spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default".

My question is - After using the global parameters, if I go back to the interfaces and remove the parameters by entering "no spanning-tree portfast" ect. Will this override the Global parameters I just put in? In other words, What is your recemmendation for the process of removing the parameters at the interface level and using the global parameters. In addition, the manual states - This example shows how to globally enable the Port Fast feature on all nontrunking interfaces:

Switch(config)# spanning-tree portfast default

Does this mean that I don't have to code an override parameter (ie. no spanning-tree portfast) on a trunking interface?

1 Reply 1

ebreniz
Level 6
Level 6

At the global level, you enable BPDU guard on Port Fast-enabled interfaces by using the spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default global configuration command. Spanning tree shuts down interfaces that are in a Port Fast-operational state. In a valid configuration, Port Fast-enabled interfaces do not receive BPDUs. Receiving a BPDU on a Port Fast-enabled interface signals an invalid configuration, such as the connection of an unauthorized device, and the BPDU guard feature puts the interface in the error-disabled state.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801e85e3.html