cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN PROBLEM

haroonsaeed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I am having problem with the vlan, defined a switch port as part of a new vlan. To which I have connected a Cisco Fasthub, I can not logg on to my local network.

If i plugg the fasthub to another port not part of any vlan, i can connect to the local network

I am not familiar with switches that much, can you please help me

thanks

2 Replies 2

darrenj
Level 1
Level 1

All ports (by default) are assigned to VLAN 1 - therefore by default all devices plugged into your switch can communicate because they are all in VLAN 1. If you create another VLAN and add a port to this VLAN, the devices connected can only communicate with other devices in the same VLAN. If you really want to create a new VLAN, and talk between VLAN's, you need to introduce intervlan routing which may become complex. For ease though, it may prove best to assign all ports to the same VLAN to get your FastHub up and running.

donalwil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The default management Vlan is Vlan 1 all ports and the switches IP address on 1. Vlans are broadcast domains which means that they cannot communicate between each other without a MLS switch or router.When you create a additional Vlan on the switch and connect the hub too a port on the new vlan it will only communicate with a device in the same vlan. If you plug the hub into a port in Vlan 1 you should be able to communicate with the rest of the network. If you must have more than one vlan you should consider Cisco switches with trunk ports, or a Cisco router configurer for interVlan routeing. I hope this is helpful.

D Williams

CCNA

donalwil@cisco.com