Views
Helpful
Replies

vlan truncking

mafarah123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i have two locations let's call them location A and B i'm using a microwave radio link between the two locations and behind each location i have a switch which is connected to radio. now my question is is't useful to create two vlans one for trunking between the two sites and another one for the remainder of the ports(this one can be the default one).

thanks

3 Replies 3

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I'm not sure I understand the question fully. If you use the link as a trunk, you will be able to run as many VLANs as you want over it.

I must have missed something here. Please could you explain your topology. Thanks in advance.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

this is what i mean i have two switches is it appropriate to cteat a vlan for trunking or can i just have the default vlan and it will pick up which port is the trunk and which ports are not.

At each location, take the switch port that is connected to the radio link, and configure it as an 801.1Q trunk. You should find that it passes all the VLANs transparently between the sites, just like it was a simple Ethernet trunk connection.

The bit that confuses me about your question is "cteat [create?] a vlan for trunking". A trunk is a link that multiplexes all the VLANs together, then de-multiplexes them at the other end. You create a trunk to carry VLANs, not vice versa.

Maybe you are asking about native VLAN of the trunk, the VLAN that passes without tagging? If you want extra security, set the native VLAN of the 802.1Q trunk ports to something that is not used anywhere else in your network. That way all the traffic VLANs are tagged with their VLAN id.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg