cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN with PAT and 3 networks...I need help with design!

brian.bors
Level 1
Level 1

I've been tasked with a major upgrade to my current network and internet access. 

1.     I need to have an internal private network with access to the internet.  This will be for large meetings, and I'll use a private network with 2048 addresses.

2.     I also will have a small publid network with 8 routable addresses for Firewall, Web Server, PAT (NAT overload) for the above Private network internet access.

3.     I want to split a class C address into two networks to allow one network (128 addresses) for Guest use that need routable addresses, and a second network (the other 128 addresses) for specific meetings that also need routable addresses.

I have:

I have been issued a router from my ISP.  They have allocated me one .248 network with 8 addresses (6 usable) and a full class C network.

A Cisco 1841 router with 2 FA ethernet ports.  I would like to use one FA port at the outside (to my ISP router) and the other FA port as my Inside port (to all other networks).  I will do NAT Overload.

I also have a Layer 3 Catylist 3750 switch.

Do I need to set up VLANs for each Network?

Can I place my network hardware on the 10 network?

Do I need router sub interfaces for my VLANs and can I PAT on a Subinterface?

1 Reply 1

Raju Sekharan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Brian

1. Do I need to set up VLANs for each Network?

Create seperate VLANS for each subnet and do the intervlan routing on 3750

2. Can I place my network hardware on the 10 network?

Yes

3. Do I need router sub interfaces for my VLANs and can I PAT on a Subinterface?

Not required. You can do the intervlan routing on your Layer 3 3750 switch. From 3750 you can point a default-route to the router.

On the router you can perform PAT based on an ACL. Also you need to add Static NAT for your Webserver etc

Thank you

Raju

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card