cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP Support on switches

wwvan
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to integrate some Cat3550 Switches in a Nortel environment. Pre-req is the support of VRRP. CAT3550 does support HSRP, but what about VRRP.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

The 3550 series does not support VRRP. Typically, you only see VRRP in products Cisco hasn't fully integrated into their IOS (i.e. VPN 3000 Concentrator, CSS switches, Content Engines, etc....). The fact that they feel (and rightfully so) that HSRP is superior, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

rickb
Level 3
Level 3

The 3550 series does not support VRRP. Typically, you only see VRRP in products Cisco hasn't fully integrated into their IOS (i.e. VPN 3000 Concentrator, CSS switches, Content Engines, etc....). The fact that they feel (and rightfully so) that HSRP is superior, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Rick

caymil
Level 1
Level 1

I worked in a Nortel/CISCO environment where we tried to perform the same scenario in a lab setting. After exhaustive configuration changes and testing, it was determined that VRRP and HSRP would not work together. They are based on different protocol standards. Do not waste your time on attempting this scenario.