cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vtp Domain Core design question.

tsingletary
Level 1
Level 1

In a VTP domain you can only have one server…so I have read. Now if you have 6500a as a root sw and a 6500b as a broot sw and have hsrp set up between them. The 6500a will be the server, so what will the 6500b in this design be.

I guess my ? is… should the 6500b also be VTP servers in case the 6500a fail. If not then what happens if the 6500a fails and the 6500b is config as a client. Or does this even matter.

I hope I’m making since… any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

3 Replies 3

DWAM_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Where have you readen that in a VTP domain you can have only one server vtp ?

It's not a problem to have core with 2 servers vtp.

I follow this recommandation " So my recommendation is to have at least two VTP servers (one as a backup for a case of hardware failure) "

Have look on

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.eea00ec/1#selected_message

Regards.

Thanks,

I think i have seen that in several Cisco Switching books. but maybe i didn't understand VTP in full. Maybe i'm confused a little... a switch can only belong to one VTP domain...ok i think i got it.

So when I add new vlans. I must then add them to both Servers before adding them to the clients.

thanks again for clearing this up for me.

Tim

When you add VLANs you only have to do it on one server (it doesn't matter which server you do it on). Then that server tells the other server and all the clients about the new VLAN via VTP if they are all in the same VTP domain. You don't have to do anything on the clients.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card