cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Want to access PC through Router from outside - Port problem ?

Stefan222
Level 1
Level 1

I have a problem with my Cisco Router of the 800 series (Cisco 827) - it its not possible to have access (ping) to the PC behind the Router, on which a mailserver is installed.

I want to have access from an outside PC on the www to this mailserver machine through the router.

What steps have to be done ?

Is there any firewall installed, I've already switched off the XP firewall - no luck.

Thanks for your help

2 Replies 2

b.hsu
Level 5
Level 5

Check the following, if ping to the pc from the router is not working :

* Routing Issue

* Interface Down

* Access-list Command

* Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) Issue

* Delay

* Correct Source Address

for more info, refer the following link :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_tech_note09186a00800a6057.shtml

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

We can answer your question better if you tell us some things about how the 827 router is configured. In particular if the 827 is connecting a private inside network to the public internet it is probably doing NAT. Give us the particulars of how the 827 is configured and we may be able to guide you in providing access.

If you want machines in the public Internet to be able to access your mailserver it would be best if there were a static NAT translation (if the address of the mailserver in private address space always translated to the same public address).

There is also a question of whether you want machines in the public Internet to access your mailserver by address or by name. If access by address is sufficient then having a static translation is enough. If you want machines in the public Internet to access your mailserver by name then there will need to be entries in the Internet DNS which resolve the name to the address.

Perhaps your service provider can help you with both of these issues.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card