cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the performance of a 1760 Router

rfuchser
Level 1
Level 1

I didn't found some documents on the CCO with exact descrption of the performace of the Cisco 1760 router. Where can I find suche kinde of information?

Thanks, Rolf

1 Reply 1

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco doesn't give performance numbers in terms of throughput. The only number they give is packets-per-second, which is calculated with 64-byte packets under optimal conditions. As packet size increases, experience shows that acheivable pps tends to decrease, but acheivable bandwidth increases because the packets are larger. The usual example I give is the 2621, rated at 25kpps, which can do around 40Mbps with 1500 byte packets under optimal conditions (CEF, no ACLs or NAT, etc) per some testing that I did. Based on this, a rough estimation for a 1760's (16kpps) performance in such a scenario would be 25Mbps or so.

But again, these numbers are optimal. Average packet size on any real network is usually much less than 1500 bytes, and performance decreases even further as various features such as ACLs and NAT are enabled. So you have to ballpark your bandwidth requirements and then figure out what router is appropriate based on the traffic profile of your network (e.g., average packet size) and any potential performance-reducing features that will be enabled on the router. It's by no means a science -- unfortunately, the only way to be positive about a device's performance in a given scenario is to test it yourself, which isn't always possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: