cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wierd networking issue

i.p.standing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi. I have a weird generalized, I guess, question that is about to drive me mad.

I've got a Lenovo T420 that will connect to a wifi hotspot through cell phones but will not connect to our company's wifi (which I do have admin rights to). It sees our company's wifi, corporate and guest, and shows each of them to have mostly 4 bars but never less than 3. When I click on either corporate or guest to connect, it automatically says unable to connect. Like it doesn't even try.

When I connect to the hotspot through any of 3 cell phones tried, 2 iPhones and 1 Android, there are no problems with the connection at all.

Do any of you have any ideas as to a possible setting in the laptop that would cause it to differentiate between the 2 and reject the corporate wifi? I have used probably around 200 other laptops including Dell, Lenovo, and HP to connect with no problems. There has to be something that I'm not seeing.

I guess what I mainly need to know is what are general spec differences between the two?

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does this issue only happen with your machine and no one else? 

Is your wireless network Cisco-based?

The laptop is being used by one of our CSRs, but yes to both. It's a company owned laptop and we run exclusively Cisco.

Ok, then. 

First, get the MAC address of the wireless NIC of the laptop.  Next, update the wireless NIC card driver to the latest one.  

On the WLC, enter the command "debug client <MAC address>".

Post the output here.

Yes sir. Will be tomorrow before I can. She has already left for the day. I've only been delving into the basics of networking for about 1.5 years but even our gurus are stumped by this one.

Both run on a 2.4Ghz frequency, correct?

I think you're onto something though. If our network rejects the MAC for some reason, it wouldn't attempt the connection. Whereas connecting via a phone's hotspot, I can't see the phone being too particular about the devices that attempt to connect through it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card