cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

aironet 1142 wap with a controller

mialbert
Level 1
Level 1

I have an aironet 1142 wap that is at a branch site fronted by a c1900isr.  I'd like the wap to be configured by a controller that is at the main site and on a different subnet from the branch site.  I hooked the wap on a cross connection direct to the c1900isr router at the branch site.  The wap did not reach the controller to get a configuration.  Below is a log excerpt

*Mar  1 00:29:09.007: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Discovery failed times. Release/Renew                                      DHCP

Not in Bound state.

*Mar  1 00:29:19.513: %DHCP-6-ADDRESS_ASSIGN: Interface GigabitEthernet0 assigne                                     d DHCP address 192.168.25.102, mask 255.255.255.0, hostname APc464.13c2.ea97

*Mar  1 00:29:24.511: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Invalid event 29 & state 4 combination                                     .

*Mar  1 00:29:24.511: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: SM handler: Failed to process timer me                                     ssage.

*Mar  1 00:29:24.511: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to handle timer message.

*Mar  1 00:29:24.511: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Failed to process timer message.

*Mar  1 00:29:24.511: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Discovery interval timer expiry handle                                     r failed.

Translating "CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER.xxyy.com"...domain server (10.12.10.41)

Translating "CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER.xxyy.com"...domain server (10.12.10.41)

*Mar  1 00:29:24.512: %CAPWAP-5-CHANGED: CAPWAP changed state to DISCOVERY

*Mar  1 00:29:25.518: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Did not get log server settings from D                                     HCP.

*Mar  1 00:29:25.539: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROL                                     LER.xxyy.com

*Mar  1 00:29:25.560: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Could Not resolve CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLL                                     ER.xxyy.com

This may look to be a dns issue, or does the main site controllers need to have the remote subnet defined in them first.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can your WAP ping the Management IP address of the WLC?

Did you configure DNS and/or DHCP option 43?

What firmware is the controller running on?

Also, what is the ip of your WLC?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes i believe it can ping the wlc fine.  what kind of dns configuration am i going to need. 

If the AP isn't finding the controller you can do one of the following:

Put the ap on the same vlan as the controller management

Configure option 43

Configure DNS

Configure IP Forward

The DNS config, you would create a A record for CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROL and point it to your WLCs management IP address.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yes i believe it can ping the wlc fine. 

Sorry, I don't take this answer.  It's either you can or you can't.  Please verify that you can.

And if you can, console into the WAP and enter this command "capwap ap controller ip address ".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card