cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error message - This line may not run PPP HELP!!!

jeff.vargas
Level 1
Level 1

I've configured one of my routers for RADIUS. The RADIUS server is a MS IAS server. When I try to authenticate the IAS server logs tell me I've authenticated successfully but the telnet session will not let me in. I enter my username and then password and the router comes back and says "This line may not run PPP"

Anyone know what's going on? I'm under the impression the VTY ports need a transport input command of some type. I'm kind of screwed at this point because I locked myself out of the router.

Please help.

Thanks,

-Jeff

4 Replies 4

sstudsdahl
Level 4
Level 4

It looks like you have an auto-command of "ppp" that is being passed to the router from the RADIUS server when you authenticate to the vty interface.

So how do we fix it

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if this thread can help you :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/network-access-control/radius-this-line-may-not-run-ppp-message/td-p/338092

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

It was a very interesting discussion that @marce1000 suggested. In that discussion it appears that the basic problem was in the configuration of the server rather than an issue on the router. 

It seems to me that the message about not allowed to run ppp may indicate that the issue is with authorization rather than with authentication. If you have access to the console and could enable debug it might be interesting to compare the output of debug for authentication and for authorization.

HTH

Rick