cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

frame-relay point-to-point vs multipoint

j-bliss
Level 1
Level 1

Question: What changes in behavior occur when specifying multipoint vs. poin-to-point on a sub interface in Frame Relay. The reason for my question is that I am reviewing someone else's config and I noticed that they are specifying multi-point on the subinterfaces instead of point-to-point as I would expect and I need to be able to explain why this might be a bad thing.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

stefano-dean
Level 1
Level 1

Broadcast access VS non-Broadcast access

ptp it's the same of leased line, you don't have any problem with routing protocols.

Stefano

Stefano,

Thanks for the reply. I was looking for a little deeper understanding of the mechanics involved. In other words, what will happen if I build subinterfaces like I am doing traditional point-to-point (mapping each PVC to a separate sub-interface on a separate IP subnet), however I screw up and use the keyword multipoint instead of point-to-point. What do I break (if anything) by doing that?

Thanks!

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

On a point-to-point subinterface, one PVC will be assigned to the sub-interface, and all packets sent over that sub-interface will be mapped to that PVC. On a point-to-multipoint sub-interface, network address-to-DLCI mapping will be more of an issue, as the router must learn of the mappings via inverse arp or through frame-relay map statements in the configuration. The point-to-multipoint sub-interface will behave just as a physical serial interface with frame-relay encapsulation, with certain DLCIs assigned to the sub-interface.

Please note that when running OSPF over frame relay, all routers must have the same interface type as their neighbors.

HTH,

Mark

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: