Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I use Prime to remove a user from all network devices

smithj49357
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am new to Prime and am not finding a way to remove a user from all network devices consistently. After a few devices are updated, Prime will time out, saying "connection timed out while executing a command".

Thank you,

Joe

10 Replies 10

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you verified your credentials (the ones that Prime uses) for all target devices?

Are you using a cli template? You should be able to do the task quite easily with that method.

Just make a cli template that executes the relevant command and saves the newly modified configuration. (Note cli templates always run in config mode.):

no username <user to be removed>
do copy run start

Build the above template and deploy to your devices.

Thank you for the response.  A script was made but is not working consistently, it is timing out on some devices. I will troubleshoot and apply this option on Monday.  Do you know where I can locate more specific scripting details for Prime? Scripting documentation is not as plentiful as Python for example.

Documentation has been sadly lacking for Prime Infrastructure.

The cli templates themselves simply use the IOS (or NX-OS) commands available on the target devices. So you can refer to the product configuration guides and command references for that aspect.

As far as your timeout issue, you can adjust the timeout for devices but generally the defaults should be ok. You might select a single problematic device and capture the traffic from Prime while trying a deployment  to make sure your syntax and credentials are all ok.

I will keep digging into it. The recommended commands did not work, they needed more interactive commands.  I appreciate the note about capturing Prime traffic. Are you using Wireshark to monitor Prime traffic?

Re monitoring - Prime Infrastructure lets you kick off a tcpdump and download the resultant pcap file.

I do use Wireshark's GUI to analyze that capture file. Note you will have to flip a device to telnet (vs. ssh) in order to get the raw commands in plain text.

I'm not quite hardcore enough to glance through the raw frames to troubleshoot anything more complicated than 3-way handshake failure. :)   

The problem with using:

no username [username] is that the CLI then requires confirmation that you in fact want to delete the account.  Therefore the Prime deploy  stalls out waiting.

Geekstur1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi;

Did you ever find a solution for this problem?  I am having the same situation in my environment.

Thanks!~

Geekstur1
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone looking for the solution for removing a username form a device(s) via Prime, I finally found it:

<MLTCMD>
no username [username]
y
</MLTCMD>

mpofut0901
Level 1
Level 1

Just Done this on a lot of devices from Cisco Prime 3.5 and it worked like a charm, Enter the Multi-Line Commands (MLTCMD) below to Prime without " " 

"<MLTCMD>
no username Test1
y
no usernameTest2
y
no usernameTest3
y
</MLTCMD>"

Select "ignore failure and continue" so that if a username is not on some device, the job will continue to run.

I have included screenshots.

mpofut0901
Level 1
Level 1

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: