cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

identical dialer remote-name

Thomas Vådahl
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 2600-series router with a 4-port BRI module, and we have several dialers configured. These dialers are all going to dial a bank (the exact same bank, and exact same number), but they are triggered by different IP-addresses.

To do this with CHAP, we must configure a "dialer remote-name" for all dialer interfaces. They all dial the same number, and they should all have configured the same remote-name. But this does not work. When we type in the remote-name on more than one dialer, we get an error message that says that the remote-name already exists.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve our problem?

Thanks,

Thomas

4 Replies 4

zahmed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I really do not see a need for having separate dialer profiles in your application when all the dialers will dial the same router at the bank. Why don't you have all 8 B channels in one big bundle and bring up additional B channels when there is more traffic being triggered by different IP addresses.

~Zulfi

Thomas Vådahl
Level 1
Level 1

This is still a problem for us. I'd be glad if anyone can help...

The answer hasn't changed since you posted back in April. Your approach to dialup networking is incompatible with Cisco's concept of identifying dial links. If you could expand on what you are trying to accomplish by using separate dialers for each IP destination rather than a single dialer which can reach all of the IP addresses provided by that name/phone number then maybe we can provide an approach which will solve your problems.

In the meantime, the normal approach is to "overload" a single dialer for that name/phone number with all the IP addresses required and use multilink PPP to provide more bandwidth on demand. This could be done with secondary addresses on the dialer or multiple static routes or via routes learned by a routing protocol running over the dial link. The best approach would, of course, depend upon how the bank configures their end of the link, your relationship with the bank, and just what you are trying to accomplish.

If you are trying to get around limitations the bank has placed on their dialup services, then standard approaches will not work and you will need to solve the problem by brute force, such as using a separate 80X router for each BRI and using your current router to forward packets to the different bank services to the appropriate ISDN router.

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

Thanks a lot for your answer. The bank has some limitations, and I will try your last suggestion.

I'm sorry for not describing my problem in full detail.