Helpful
Replies

Link errors on Cisco switches and routers

astrand
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On our 3524-XL switches the %LINK-4-ERROR message is

sent to our syslog servers when we have a problem with duplex or speed setting on the switches.

Unfortunately, these error messages are not generated on our 2950/3550 switches and Cisco routers when they have speed/duplex problems. (Though I can see input and CRC errors on the interface counters).

Is there a way to enable Cisco routers and 2950/3550 switches to generate logging events when these errors occur?

(Please note that I have set up both syslog and buffer logging levels to be informational (level 6), but still no %LINK-4-ERRORs appear).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Harald

2 Replies 2

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Harald,

CDP should report these type of errors like :

%CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on FastEthernet0/15 (not half duplex), with Router FastEthernet0/0 (half duplex).

Do you have CDP running on ur switches or not.If not then type command CDP run in global config mode and will get enable globally.

If you have setup the logging level to 6 then then the messages with the level <=6 will be sent to the syslog servers.

HTH,

-amit singh

Thanks for your answer Amit!

CDP is already enable on our internal switches and routers. When we have a duplex/speed problem between a switch and a router, we do get the CDP error messages as you describe.

However, the interfaces that are connected to host machines do not get any error message logged when there is a duplex/speed mismatch. This is what I would like to fix.

Regards,

Harald