cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with Remote management/SSH

gmcclintock
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again everyone, I have been trying to get this one thing working all weekend and can't seem to be able to figure out what needs to be don't to get it to work. 

I have a switch 2950 and two routers in my lab, my goal is to be able to ssh into all 3 devices without having to swap cables. I just want to be able to enter the IP into PuTTy to gain access. I have be able to configure SSH to each device individually but with this setup I have to change the cable if I want to get access to other devices. 

I hope I've explained my problem so that you can understand what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks for your support in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok so I found out why it wasn't working I did two things without checking first....I enabled ran the no shut command on all interfaces that were in the vlan before checking to see if they were shutdown so I don't know for sure if that was it but I think it is....then I ran the aaa new-model on each device. I know this wasn't the issue because I went back and ran the no aaa new-model command on each device and it still works so I am certain now that it was a disabled interface. 

Either way it works not and I thank you...

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi

If you were able to configure SSH on the 3 devices, first you should be able to reach the management IP of each devices or loopbacks using same VLANs to interconnect the devices or routing between routers, now you can set up the following config.

SWITCH

ip default-gateway <IP of the management network>

no aaa new-model

username Cisco privilege 15 password Cisco123 ; Create local credentials

Enabling SSH

ip domain name test.com

crypto key generate Rsa (use 1024 at least)

ip ssh version 2

line vty 0 15

transport input ssh

login local

Similar for the routers.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

All devices are in the same VLAN but I an unable to reach them I've made these configurations to all devices already except for aaa, I'm not sure what I am missing besides aaa though. I will try that when I return home (traveling this week) and let you know if this works. Also one question should I be using a routing protocol for this? I think that is my problem, what do you think?

Hi

Sure, please keep me posted.

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

I will keep you posted. About routing, do I need configure a routing protocol to make this work?

Hi

If all of them are over the same vlan (VLAN = Network) it should be reachable. The Cisco 2950 does not support routing. 

I meant on the router but I understand what you are saying and make to appropriate configurations and let you know how it turns out.

Ok so I found out why it wasn't working I did two things without checking first....I enabled ran the no shut command on all interfaces that were in the vlan before checking to see if they were shutdown so I don't know for sure if that was it but I think it is....then I ran the aaa new-model on each device. I know this wasn't the issue because I went back and ran the no aaa new-model command on each device and it still works so I am certain now that it was a disabled interface. 

Either way it works not and I thank you...