cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Mapping Tool

h-amaya
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeking information about tools available that can scan the network and come up with a map of its topology. Please indicate if this is Shareware (Great!!) or Payware :8(( !

Such tool would be extremely useful to the Network Administrator.

3 Replies 3

SteveGodfrey
Level 1
Level 1

We've just gone through the same exercise and at the end of a long evaluation we've opted for SNMPc by Castlerock.

We currently run HP OV NNM but use very few of it's features other so this will be replaced by SNMPc.

In my view you need to be a full time OV (or NetView) user to get full benefit of its features and I don't have the time to do this.

HTH

h-amaya
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your reply... I was wondering about the size of your network. Is it less than 200 PCs,? More than 200 PCs? Is this Network Management tool form Castlerock (SNMPc) adequate for a network such as ours less than 200 PCs or ist overkill?

I guess I am iterested in the software package capability to handle a certain number of network elements. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Hermann

We have approximatley 6000 PC's and around 400 cisco deivces (routers/switches/firewalls etc).

We just don't have the time to run OV and really that's why we opted for SNMPc. We can do everything we were doing with OV (which wasn't much) and it can scale nicely up to around 10,000 devices. We certainly won't be managing the PC's but I guess the servers and network kit will come to around 1000 devices.

Customisation is very straight forward. For example it took me 5 minutes to configure SNMPc so when you double click a server icon a VNC session is started to that host.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card