Views
Helpful
Replies

Password required, none set

jmccaney
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My company just purchased 4 2960-s 48-port switches, and I am trying to get them configured.  When I attempt to log into one of the switch through Putty, I get "Password required, but none set".  What do I need to wipe this switch and reconfigure?  I am a novice, and I need step by step instructions to get this switch (and others) working.

Thanks in advance.

7 Replies 7

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Set the username password and privilege using console before ssh from putty.

please rate for helpful post

How do I do that?  Can I go through the managed ethernet port and do it?  what app should I use if not Putty?

Martin L
VIP
VIP

No, do not wipe config out; it appears its default settings for telnet or ssh configs.  "Password required, but none set" is default message you get when config is default.  There is difference between using Telnet and Console.  you appear to be using Telnet before telnet settings (configs) were set up for login. 

check following default settings under telnet and add if necessary

line vty 0 4

login

line vty 5 15

login

<<< change into

line vty 0 4

no login

Or

login

password cisco

<<<

you may add enable password by following "enable secret password.is.cisco"

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

What should I use for console?

Console is what you use when 1st time setting up Cisco gear and most likely is done locally. then, you use ssh or telnet (should use ssh for security purpose but telnet is a temporary use to setup  shh remotely)

btw. I added config above - in my previous reply

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

jmccaney
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys, I have a serial cable connected and I'm able to configure the switches.  Thank you so much for your input.

Thanks for the update. Glad to know that you have resolved the issue. It may not be obvious to a new user of Cisco equipment, but the requirement for console access to perform initial configuration (including setting up passwords or other authentication alternatives) applies to most of the product line.

One comment is that the advice to configure passwords on the vty was the correct solution. The suggestion to use no login I believe was not a good suggestion. no login removes the prompt for authentication credentials (password etc) but does not remove the requirement for authentication for telnet or ssh connections. 

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco