Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Permanently Delete Config File; Destroy Network Device Memory Beyond Recovery

I'm developing some documentation on properly disposing of network devices in such a way that permanently removes all proprietary data and configurations prior to network device decommissioning the device. I've learned that technically write/erase, even repeated multiple times could still result in a recoverable configuration file by someone skilled enough to do so.

I'm looking for a solution that doesn't necessarily involved destroying the device completely, so this raises a couple questions:

1. Are there CL means to permanently (i.e. beyond any capable recovery) destroy network device configuration and wipe memory?

2. Can the memory of Cisco network devices be physically removed and degaussed similar to other physical devices? 

I am not an expert in this area, so any and all direction is welcomed! If at all possible, please provide any known Cisco documentation if there is some that supports your input.

2 Replies 2

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on the type of hardware. Most devices have compact flash that can be removed.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
For your first question, I'm unaware of any specific "one" CL command that would accomplish that, although if you erased the flash of concern, then completely filled it with "random data", that would make it difficult to recover anything that was on the flash earlier.

For your second question, it depends on what kind of flash you're dealing with. It might be using something like CF, which might be easy to remove or it might be something soldered to a board (the latter likely allowing it to also be removed but likely damaging the device). As to whether the flash might be "degaussed", again depends on the actual hardware, but I don't know of any typical flash that could be actual erased by a magnetic field, possibly via electric current if that kind of flash.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: