Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS settings

dpugalendi.d
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

policy map enabled as below , need to drop packets above 1024 ( 1MBPS ) , suggest better commands to implement the same ( consider it is a video streaming traffic )

policy-map outbound-policy2
 class uniqos2
  bandwidth 1024

service-policy output outbound-policy2

10 Replies 10

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Add under your policy class

police 1024000

This config is working for outbound traffic , need to which is the best of Inbound traffic control ...pls guide with some example for the same ..thanks in advance

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You can use the same policy for ingress but without the bandwidth statement.  However, upstream path can congest before the policer drops traffic.

so it wont be effective correct .... suggest me any other way to achieve the same

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

The effective method, is to manage egress on the other side.  If that's not possible, ingress policing is often all you're left with.  It effectiveness varies.

Now i need to restrict the video traffic to 1Mbps and at the same time i need 1Mbps guarantee for the same on both ingress and egress ,

As above i can’t use police and BW command together ... so suggest me any other way to achieve the same...Thanks in advance

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

For egress, you can use bandwidth and police together.

For ingress, assuming you cannot manage other side's egress, you police other traffic to leave your 1 Mbps for video (you can also police your ingress video too).

For example, if the ingress was 10 Mbps, your ingress policy could be:

policy-map

class video

police 1024000

class class-default

police 9216000

The above is the concept, for an actual working implementation, as I believe most Cisco shapers/policers don't allow for L2, you'll need to reduce both values by about 5 to 15%.  Unfortunately, percentage overhead varies per packet size so you could use worst case percentage, which is pretty large, or average case percentage.

Also, ingress traffic can burst or run above these values on the link itself.  For example, video could send 2 Mbps down the link, and although it's policed at 1 Mbps, it's using 2 Mbps.  TCP traffic might burst above the 9 Mbps.  What might help, is if the traffic responds (i.e. slows) when there's drops, you set the policed value even lower to keep the busting below your logical limit.  For example, you might physically police class default at 7 Mbps to try to avoid it bursting beyond 9 Mbps.

My experience has been traffic can often burst way above your policed limit so often you have to set a surprisingly low physical limit which unfortunately also limits your average utilization.

This is why I've previously noted, ingress traffic bandwidth management is best done on the other side's egress.

Also error as below ,

#bandwidth 1024
Weighted Fair Queueing feature not supported in input policy.

Bandwidth command not allowed at parent level in input direction

#service-policy BWALLOC
Weighted Fair Queueing feature not supported in input policy.

Cannot attach queuing-based child policy to a non-queuing based class

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Yes, I noted you cannot use the bandwidth statement in an ingress policy.