cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple way to use DSL as out bound backup for T1

bigassmonkey
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2600...With T1 to internet..also have DSL but it goes into its own DSL Router...so I have an ethernet connection to the second Ethernet connection on the 2600....

There is no NAT running on the router...I have NAT being done by a PIX....

what is the simplest and easy way to do a backup connection incase the T1 fails?

I also have a 3600 and a 1700 that I am not doing any thing with..incase these routers would do a better job..

3 Replies 3

vcjones
Level 5
Level 5

There are a variety of "simple" ways to use DSL to provide outbound backup for a T1. The trick is to understand the requirements (particularly how the T1 is configured) so that the correct simple way can be chosen, as most of the simple ways only work for a specific scenario. The primary challenge is detecting when the T1 has failed, this is trivially easy for a point-to-point T1 exchanging keep-alives, but may require running a routing protocol with your service provider or even using "ping-based" routing.

Another trick is to have a process for routinely testing the DSL link so that when it fails you can get it fixed promptly, otherwise you won't discover it is broken until you need it to replace your down T1...

Good luck and have fun!

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com

You Wrote A book.....that is out of print...but I can get signed copy from you....

we have spoken in this forum before..about this very topic...I want your help ..I think you have a chapter on this.....maby chapter 8?

I want your help ....I need your help...so please cut to the chase..

James

>> You Wrote A book.....that is out of print...

>> but I can get signed copy from you....

You can get a copy a lot cheaper and faster going to one of the many "used" book dealers on Amazon or Barnes and Noble. You just can't buy it from Amazon or B&N proper. Follow the links on the book page on my web site.

>> we have spoken in this forum before..

Probably, this particular topic comes up frequently. Unlike most people who post looking for DSL backup, however, your situation is solvable with Cisco gear.

>> I want your help ....I need your help...so please cut to the chase...

Actually, I believe it is you who needs to "cut to the chase." Solicitation of anything other than advice is against the acceptable use rules of this forum. If you want my help, my email and phone number are both available if you click on my name above, and on my web site as well. I've given you what I can based on the information you've posted and within the time constraints of what I can give away rather than sell by the hour.

Vincent C Jones

www.networkingunlimited.com