Views
Helpful
Replies

Suggestions for a CISCO router with failover capability

lucadellavalle
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

first of all, cheers & greets to every member over there, new member here :-)

I'm looking for some serious advice for buying a CISCO appliance and I thought it would have been a good idea to start over from here!

In a SOHO environment, I have an DSL connection that has to use it's own antenna/router (it uses a Microtik antenna-router and cannot be changed).

I'd like to install "something" in between this connection and my lan in order to have a failover internet connection with a 4G modem. Something that "polls" the main connection/ISP and when the link is down, switches automatically to a 4G network (better noticing it). And when the line is back on the main connection, then back to this (otherwise too much money would be spent on the 4G line).

Is any CISCO appliance/router (new models, or "precedent generations" models that I can find used, maybe) that can do this? 

Hope to have been clear enough, sorry for my poor english.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Luca

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

GoncaloContente
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lucadellavalle,

What you want, can be done with any cisco router, what you need to do is to configure a higher metric on the interface you want to use as a backup route.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes it can be achieved with cisco devices using - IP SLA / tracking to failover.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

GoncaloContente
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lucadellavalle,

What you want, can be done with any cisco router, what you need to do is to configure a higher metric on the interface you want to use as a backup route.

Hope this helps

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes it can be achieved with cisco devices using - IP SLA / tracking to failover.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help