cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

501 possible hardware failure... want to make sure

dsingleterry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 501e that I'm really suspicious of. I have several locations with 501e's, and I had previously set this one up at a location and had connectivity issues, when I changed firewalls, I also changed configs so I was unsure if the firewall in question was really bad or not.

I just tried placing it in a different location, and am experiencing the following:

After configuring the outside ip address to match the ip supplied by the cable modem, setting the route, I would check sho int and it would say int e0 is up, line protocol is up.

Then I would do a ping from within the CLI to outside IP addresses I know are consistently up, and get a general response like the following for all IP's tried.

x.x.x.x response received -- 60ms

x.x.x.x NO response received -- 1000ms

Occasionally I would get something like

x.x.x.x response received -- 60ms

x.x.x.x response received -- 100ms

I could never see through the firewall from the desktops, but I had a friend with a linux box say he could get about 50% ping to the firewall's outside IP. I am currently off site and cannot ping the firewall's outside IP from my desktop though with a win2k box.

Another interesting fact to note is that I tried to swap between a straight-through cable and a crossover cable and got the same response. I was under the impression that the 501 would not do any sort of auto-switching.

If it doesnt, then how was I able to get the same sort of ping outs on both cables?

The only other issue I can think of is possibly with connecting to the cable modem. When I connect a desktop to the modem directly, it picks up the IP by dhcp. With other cable modems in the past I've been able to assign the designated IP directly to a router and not have an issue. The cable company says the IP shouldnt change for 6 months... so is there any way that it could be having a problem using that dynamic IP and treating it like a static? (other than the fact that when it does eventually change, i'll have to be on site to fix it)

Thank you for your time,

Dave

2 Replies 2

bbaley
Level 3
Level 3

Most cable connections use a type of PPPoE, that is the host should send a

hostname. The PIX does not do that at this time.

So the work around would be that hard code the outside address and set a static route.

Set the inside PC to point at the pix and set the DNS servers there.

ehh...

First, DSL uses PPPoE, Cable generally does not.

Second, PIX 6.2.2 does support PPPoE, I know because I use it on 2 of my 4 PIX firewalls to authenticate to DSL lines. It's done with VPDN.

Third, As I stated, I was hard coding the static route and outside address.

I think I have this problem resolved on my own though, as I suspected it was a hardware issue. Cisco has RMA'd my 501e and I have the new one working in a test environment.