cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5510-BUN-K9 software upgrade from 7.0(4)12 ??

jdory99
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased this firewall from govconnection.com and wondering about software upgrades. It has above ASA version software and ASDM 5.0(4) software.

It appears I need to somehow attain PICA and verification keys and whatnot - I've inquired with my seller to see if they can provide that -

but also curious if the newer version of software is desireable enough to jump through all these hoops? Or perhaps I'm missing some simpler method of updating software on this unit?

4 Replies 4

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have never heard of PICA and verification keys. You can download the ASA software directly from here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/asa

IF you have a valid contract and CCO login and password, that is. If not you can purchase HW/SW maintenance on this device (which is a good idea anyway in case it fails) from a reseller or from Cisco direct, which will then provide you with software updates.

As for 7.0(4)12 code, it's fine, I wouldn't bother upgrading unless you're specifically hitting some bug or you need a feature that only came in in either 7.1 or 7.2 code. The following links provide you with all the release notes for those versions so you can make your own decision:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_71/index.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_72/index.htm

Thank you very much for replying and supplying the links. I appreciate that.

PICA: I got that when trying to download software on Cisco's web site: a Cisco certified Partner Initiated Customer Access Partner and Verification Key. That was one of three options, the first being purchasing direct from Cisco.

So the policy of Cisco sounds like a I purchase a new appliance (end of April) and it comes with not current (old) software, and I must spend more money to update to current software. This is dandy. Perhaps it is a unit that sat on the shelf of my reseller awhile - but that shouldn't be the responsibility of the buyer - I should be able to register the product and get current updates (not asking for future ones) without charge.

Or perhaps I still am too thick skulled to understand that there is a method to download software without charge - but I haven't figured out yet how to get a valid contract and CCO login/password via the cisco.com website - at least without charge. (This is different from my login that I use to access the forum, I'm assuming?)

Anyway, pardon the rant - it is not directed at you but I'm hoping it may be read by someone who may influence Cisco's thinking. I may pursue the HW/SW maintenance fee for the device.

I have the same issue as you do.. we just purchase an ASA5510 and we need it to support of L2TP VPN (windows default). However, v7.0 doesn't support it.. How can I get it updated to v7.2??? Do I have to purchase the HW/SW contract.. it's not reasonable. My ASA5510 is "new" !!!

Hi,

Basically, if you just buy an ASA (or any Cisco box) without purchasing any support then you get what's called "warranty", which entitles you (usually) to 90 days of hardware support and software maintenance updates.

Unlike IOS, it's not too well documented what qualifies as a maintenance update on ASA but it's probably only the latest build of 7.0(4) if your box came with 7.0(4). Within 90 days the hardware replacement SLA is 10 days - after 90 days it's time & materials at Cisco's discretion.

The point I'm trying to make is that Cisco's warranty is rubbish - you're more or less forced into buying smartnet whether you like it or not (unless you're in the habit of discarding failed hardware and simply replacing with a handy spare..)

That said, smartnet has fantastic value, as follows:

1) new hardware delivered with or without an engineer (up to 24x7x2)

2) a license to install any and all software updates (for your purchased feature set)

3) Access to the TAC 24x7

Here's the full list:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps2978/c1592/cdccont_0900aecd8042b4d6.pdf

So, whenever you buy Cisco kit you should always be thinking about buying a smartnet contract (there are separate services to cover IPS devices, and software-only products like callmanager) unless you only want it for 90 days and you don't care about the 10 day warranty replacement SLA.

Finally, if you really don't want the hardware support, but you do want the software, then you can simply purchase the particular version you want for a one-off payment (but it won't be very cost-effective if you upgrade a lot - and a years smartnet contract might even be cheaper..)

HTH - plz rate if useful.

Andrew.