cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bough a used ASA-5510, how to upgrade?

maramamarama
Level 1
Level 1

Please excuse me if this is the wrong place to ask...

We have just bought this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cisco-ASA5510-SEC-BUN-K9-Security-Plus-ASA-Firewall-1GB-2xGE-3xFE-VPN-IPSec-3DES-/330812497269

So it's a used ASA-5510-SEC device, running 8.3.1. Bough from a legal store selling used equipement (not authorized Cisco partner though).

We also have a ASA5505 and we are considering getting a service agreement for the unit. The service agreement would provide us with access to

asa911-k8.bin file . Would I be able to download the file through ASA5505 service agreement and use it for the ASA5510 device? Or such attempt would fail or brick the ASA5510 ? There are asa911-k8.bin files on the internet, and I understand that using them would be a violation, but would I be in violation if I download the file legaly but through a service contract not being tied to the unit I intend to upgrade?

I understand the current version is 9.0, and here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/roadmap/asa_new_features.html#wp23144

the new features are listed. I am confused by:

"Clientless SSL VPN: Internet browser support: Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, Firefox 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8"

My current Firefox Version is 18.0.1 . Does it mean the new Versions are not supported or is it dual version numbering that's confusing me? What browsers will work with 8.3.1 ?

Tia

2 Replies 2

Based on the ebay description, the ASA should already run v9.1.1.

Technically you can install the image from the ASA 5505 on the ASA 5510. Both use the same images. But you are right that this would be a violation of the licensing. So you shuld contact your cisco-partner and ask him how to get the 5510 under maintainance.

For the Browser-compatibility: Don't be confused with supported and working Browser-versions. Only what Cisco has tested internally gets supported. But with the pace Mozilla releases new versions, it's likely that these will work, but you shouldn't ask Cisco for support if it doesn't.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Yes, the seller contacted me yesterday and told me he got few 9.1.1 devices, so that was good news. But I might get tempted to upgrade once the new version comes. Thanx for the explanation.