Views
Helpful
Replies

Certification help

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a valid ccnp routing and switching and have done 1 paper in ccnp security ( 642-617) but now when i look at the cisco career certification 642-617 is not available instead 642-618 is available.

in order  for me to obtain my ccnp security how many papers do i need to do ? (just the rest 3 will do because cisco have come back saying i need to do 3 papers apart from the one i have done + ccna security as well)

Thanks                

7 Replies 7

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For new tests, the Firewall exam 642-617 (version 1.0) has been replaced with 642-618 (version 2.0) as of May 2012. It was updated to refelct new NAT syntax etc with ASA 8.3+ software to better reflect the most current firewall products

As long as you pass all four required exams (Secure, Firewall, VPN and IPS) within 3 years of having passed the first one, you will be awarded the CCNP security.

Please see:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccnpsecurity

Thanks Marvin, i was under the same impression as well but someone from cisco says i need to do CCNA security as for CCNP, ccna security is a prerequisite ?

Also do i need to take up the new 642-618 or will i be fine just by doing the rest 3 (secure, vpn and ips ) ?

Thanks

I'm sorry I didn't mean to imply that ccna security is not a prerequisite. You have to earn a ccna before being granted a ccnp.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Network Pro,

You must clear CCNA-Security as a prerequsite for CCNP-Security.

It goes something like this:

CCNA > CCNA-Security > CCNP-Security

Just as with CCNP you need CCNA, the same holds true with the security track, only in this instance you need CCNA and then CCNA-Security in order to get the CCNP-Security.

ok thanks, do i need to clear this (ccna security + ccnp security) within 3 years of taking my first ccnp security exam

Yes. Meet the prerequisites plus complete all required exams within a 3-year period that commences with the first CCNP exam pass.

Giving credit to Mr. Todd Lammle, I have attached a graphic from his site that shows how each certification track flows. As you can see the CCNA R/S is a prereq for the wireless, security, and voice CCNA/CCNP/CCIE certification tracks. As well as the old tried and true CCNA/CCNP/CCIE R/S track.

The new Data Center track is also included as well. And, as you can see, the CCNA R/S is NOT, I repeat NOT a prereq for the CCNA/CCNP/CCIE Data Center certification track. (Which seems somewhat odd to me.)

And as always, you have a three year window to go from CCNA to CCNP in each of these tracks.