Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco routers password types - scrypt or sha-256

Ivan Mamka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm wondering if there is a mistake in test answer or I'm misunderstanding something. Here is the question:

Which hashing algorithm was utilized bellow for the enable secret password:
enable secret 9 $9asdflajlsz.xc0231231.......(to long:))

Then answer says it's: SHA-256

Then they explain that answer: When the enable secret password has encoding type of 9 or 8, it is leveraging sha-256 as the algorithm to has the password. For the encoding type 9 the command is "enable algorithm-type scrypt secret <pwd>". For the encoding type 8 the command is "enable algorithm-type sha256 secret <pwd>".

Why the answer is not scrypt?

Also, following page would say 9 is for scrypt algorithm:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/s/article/cisco-routers-password-types

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pmckenzie
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with you there @Ivan Mamka I just looked up the Cisco IOS site and found this tableenable secret.PNG

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold" Dr Who

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

pmckenzie
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with you there @Ivan Mamka I just looked up the Cisco IOS site and found this tableenable secret.PNG

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, where the sea's asleep and the rivers dream, people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice and somewhere else the tea is getting cold" Dr Who
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: