Views
Helpful
Replies

Combining multiple FWSMs on single C6509 for Greater Throughput

Runner888
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I know that the FWSM has a throughput of 5GB max. I want to increase the throughput beyond 5GB by adding another FWSM module. How do I combine the FWSMs to increase the throughput? More specifically, how do I configure the feature?

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

I am not sure if it is possible to achieve such bandwidth by combining the blades to virtually 'bind' the backplane throughput to say, 10Gbps.

Two or more FWSM can always exist in single chassis of Cat6500 series. But pls bear in mind, each unit act like an individual firewall, unless if you configure them as failover pair.

The reason why, for example 2 FWSMs exist in single chassis (no failover) is to allow them to handle more Vlans and traffics. You can segregate few group of Vlans to be handled by each FWSM.

So far, Cisco never mentioned about this as well, plus, no command (in switch or FWSM) to achieve that.

HTH

AK

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

a.kiprawih
Level 7
Level 7

I am not sure if it is possible to achieve such bandwidth by combining the blades to virtually 'bind' the backplane throughput to say, 10Gbps.

Two or more FWSM can always exist in single chassis of Cat6500 series. But pls bear in mind, each unit act like an individual firewall, unless if you configure them as failover pair.

The reason why, for example 2 FWSMs exist in single chassis (no failover) is to allow them to handle more Vlans and traffics. You can segregate few group of Vlans to be handled by each FWSM.

So far, Cisco never mentioned about this as well, plus, no command (in switch or FWSM) to achieve that.

HTH

AK

Thanks for the insight. I agree, I could not find anything from Cisco discussing this topic nor clarity on what it meant by aggregating the FSWMs on a single switch for a total of 20GB.

Keith