cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failover

rpalacio
Level 1
Level 1

I have the restricted 515 with 1FE dmz. I was planning to install a failover. In this case, do i need the unrestricted software? I am asking this coz my client was claiming he dont need the unrestricted software, as the configuration tool available on the web did not give him any error in doing so.

Also, are PIXs considered as a stateful? If it is, will its being a stateful remain when it is configured with failover?

Thanks a lot.

3 Replies 3

ywadhavk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Erwin,

The PIX 515, PIX 515E, PIX 525, and PIX 535 support failover when used in an identically matching failover pair. For example, a pair of identical PIX 515Es will support failover, but not a mixed pair of a PIX 515 and a PIX 515E. Additionally, the primary unit in the failover pair must have a Unrestricted (UR) license. The secondary unit can have a Failover (FO) or UR license.

PIX are stateful firewalls, immaterial of they being in failover configuration or not.

Thanks,

yatin

Here's the link that will give more info on this. Also notice that it has a section where it mentions how to implement Stateful Failover.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2120/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800eb0c4.html

Thanks,

yatin

kefah
Level 1
Level 1

Answer to your question..... it is from cisco

----------------------------------------------------------

Unrestricted—PIX Firewall platforms in an Unrestricted (UR) license mode allow installation and use of the maximum number of interfaces and RAM supported by the platform. The Unrestricted license supports a redundant `hot standby' system for Fail-over operation to minimize network downtime.

Restricted—PIX Firewall platforms in a Restricted (R) license mode limit the number of interfaces supported and the amount of RAM available within the system. A restricted license provides a cost-optimized firewall solution for simplified network connectivity requirements, or where lower than the maximum number of user connections are acceptable. A Restricted licensed firewall does not support a redundant system for fail-over configurations.

Both the Unrestricted and Fail-Over feature sets have identical feature and performance characteristics. A Cisco PIX Firewall with the Fail-Over license requires a Fail-Over cable between the fail-over and unrestricted licensed firewalls. The Unrestricted and hot-standby units each require their own unique corresponding DES or 3DES license for fail-over functionality. DES is included as a zero cost option. The 3DES license incurs a minimal charge.