cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to update sensor version info in the IDSMC?

patricko
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to get the IDSMC updated with the current version information from all the sensors?

When I generate a version report the sensors are reported with old signature versions despite being at s98.

This makes me unable to send out configuration changes to the sensors from the IDSMC because the version information does not match.

Thanks for your help

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you update the sensors via IDSMC then this should be automatic, so I'm assuming you're updating the sensors manually.

First off, you need to upgrade IDSMC up to S98 so that it can recognize a sensor running this version. Go here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/mgmt-ctr-ids

and get the latest service packs and sig updates necessary to get up to 4.1(4)S98. Follow the readme instructions for IDSMC upgrade, but basically copy the zip files (don't expand it) into the $BASE\CSCOPX\MDC\etc\ids\updates directory on the VMS server.

After that login to IDSMC, go to Config - Updates and select each update, make sure you get up to 4.1(4) service pack first, then go to 4.1(4)S98 sig update. Wait a good 10 minutes in between each one to ensure the previous update has finished.

Now IDSMC is updated, go to Config - Settings - Identification for each sensor, hit the Query Sensor button. Once it comes back showing the sensor is running S98 hit Apply. Do this for each sensor. Once you've done all of them, go to Config - Pending, select all the pending changes and hit Save. You're done.

Now, from now on, updates the signatures via IDSMC, it'll make life a lot easier. Load the new sig update zip file onto the VMS server in teh same directory as above. Go to Config - Updates, select the new update, and IDSMC will ask you if you want to save it to the sensors also, check each one and Next. IDSMC will update its own database, and will push the update out to each sensor in one go. Much easier than doing each sensor individually.

Thanks. Worked like a champ!