cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip route and ip default network

M.Vrazalic
Level 1
Level 1

I just searched the internet over and cant find much about ip route. Just a quick question:

i've got a firewall connected to a 3550 switch. there is a management vlan, vlan 2 and vlan 3. if vlan 2 is a network 10.10.0.0 and vlan 3 is a network 172.16.0.0, and the last gateway is the firewall inside interface 200.1.1.1 then

10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 200.1.1.1

172.16.0.0 255.255.0.0 200.1.1.1

i tried using this but it doesnt work. only 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 200.1.1.1 will work!anyone know why?

do i have to use ip default network command anyway? please help...

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

it will be better if you can throw some more lite on the kinda topology like a small schematic diagram showing the connectivity and the concern or problem you are facing at present.

As per your post i couldnt understand the purpose of configuring a Public ip in your inside interface and also routing the private address space thru that.

is ur switch connected to the inside interface of the pix and the LAN sitting behind u r switch ?

and wht about the outside interface connectivity to the public untrusted world ??

regds

Right...was just giving example with public ip..but yeah what you wrote ("is ur switch connected to the inside interface of the pix and the LAN sitting behind u r switch?") is pretty much right.

I attach the drawing. As you can see, at the bottom it says what i want to have in the switch configuration (the ip route). I just dont know whether i need to use default network and ip route or something else?

I purposely used two examples: port 1 is layer 2 based and port 45 is layer 3 based. i only want vlans 2 and 3 to get out through port 1 and dmz vlan through port 45. as you can see, i've connected the dmz to the same switch (physically), but want virtually to be separated...

i've tried using port 45 as layer 2 as well (have put in dmz management vlan 24), but if i do route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 42.6.50.254 and 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 200.1.1.2 (while choosing where the vlans go), then the vlan 2 and 3 stop being default last resort gateway, and it becomes 200.1.1.2 - it works for dmz, but stops working for vlan 2 and 3....

hope this helps out...

Could someone please have a look at the above? I've even tried the policy based routing (specifying a network to leave through 200.1.1.2, but that doesn't even work...i really do not know what else to do...could somebody please help out...